The following document is an excerpt of the Deposition of Barry Riedesel, taken under sworn oath on January 29, 1999.


Prior to June of 1996, Barry Riedesel was a member of the rank-and-file of Local 302. He had never run for elective office with the union and had never served with the local's staff. Barry Riedesel manuevered himself into the position of Election Committee Chairman for the 1996 election of officers. After that election, Riedesel was rapidly elevated through the ranks. First, he became a business agent for Larry Johnson. Then he was appointed Vice-President of Local 302. Next, he became a Trustee on the local's $2 billion Pension Trust and finally, he became the editor of the union's newspaper, "Loadline." This appears to be the most rapid climb in the history of Local 302, all for a guy who claimed to be an honest and neutral Election Committee Chairman.


However, a close examination of the facts will draw you to a plausible conclusion as to why Barry Riedesel rose so quickly to power. The answer lies in Barry's Riedesel's willingness to be false to his trust among the membership of Local 302. False trust is a violation of the union bylaws, but Barry Riedesel knew that by becoming corruptible, also meant getting big union pay-offs at the expense of all the members.


Here are the facts: Barry Riedesel joined the Election Committee so that he could help set up corrupt activities in order to violate the LMRDA (federal law controling union elections). Riedesel claimed in his deposition that he never had communication with union incumbents during the campaign period. But Riedesel's personal telephone records showed the exact opposite. In fact, Riedesel was on the phone regularily with incumbent union officers in the summer of 1996, including incumbent Larry Johnson. No doubt, they were talking about how they were going to set up the election so that the incumbents could not lose and so that the challengers could not win. The incumbents didn't lose. Not one. And no challengers won.


So entangled was Riedesel. His telephone records show several astonishing facts. The first Election Committee meeting was at 5:00 pm on July 2, 1996 at the union hall. In attendance at the meeting were the other four Committee members, the union attorney Russel J. Reid, and Election Superviser and union accountant, Dave Clements. Riedesel rushed home after the meeting and placed a 7:00 pm call to a union officer who was campaigning for office. There is little wonder what they talked about. Barry Riedesel wanted to be in on the ground game for election fraud so he could get rewarded.


Riedesel placed numerous phone calls to incumbents over the summer of 1996, some calls turning lengthy. The most suspicious calls occured just before the election ballots were mailed out on August 1, 1996.


After the election, Barry Riedesel found another way


page 1


to please his smiling union bosses. He entered three charges against Val Albert for election violations. Riedesel knew the rewards for this type of skullduggery would have to be tremendous. The three charges included: (1) Albert's involvement in the news article that appeared in the July 25, 1996 edition of the Seattle Post Intelligencer, (see Deposition of Barry Riedesel, enclosed), (2) Albert s use of a volunteer as his campaign manager, and (3) Albert's filing of a legal action in federal court to prevent election fraud. Riedesel's charges caused Albert to be expelled from Local 302. Albert had been a faithful dues paying member for over 40 years, served as business manager from 1988-1990, and worked hard to get more money into the member's pockets.


The real paydirt into the investigation of Barry Riedesel's involvement of corruption came when brother Val Albert acquired more of Riedesel's personal telephone records. Val Albert was expelled during a kangaroo union trial on the evening of November 1, 1996. Verifiable telephone records show that Barry Riedesel placed a 17-minute personal call to business manager Larry Johnson's home in the evening of October 31, 1996. Little wonder what the supposed honest, fair, and neutral Election Committee Chairman Barry Riedesel discussed with Larry Johnson, just 24-hours before Val Albert was exterminated from the face of Local 302. Later, this call became known as Barry Riedesel's "tricks for treats" call to the business manager.


When Riedesel learned that Albert obtained Riedesel's telephone records through a lawsuit subpoena, Riedesel had his wife call the management of the telephone company and complain loudly. Albert wondered how many real men would have their wives do the dirty work for them? Riedesel was so scared of the telephone records obtained by Albert, that Riedesel even went to the union attorney, Russ Reid, to get a court order to protect the telephone records from public viewing.


In Barry Riedesel's deposition, he swore under oath

that he didn't have any communication with the incumbent officers during the campaign of 1996, or just prior to the union trial of November 1, 1996.

(see pages 60 and 61 of the Excerpts of the Deposition of Barry Riedesel).


However, when Albert obtained Riedesel's telephone records

several months after the deposition, the proof was in the

pudding. Riedesel committed perjury. But then, what else would Albert expect from a man who sold himself out to the corrupt elements of Local 302?


During the 1998 Albert lawsuit against Barry Riedesel,

Larry Johnson, Clyde Wilson and Jack Jakubiec, three of the

remaining four Election Committee members signed affidavits

to the Court denouncing Barry Riedesel's involvement in union

corruption and his false trust to the union membership of Local 302.

(note: While Larry Johnson, Clyde Wilson and Jack Jakubiec

have all resigned from their positions and "retired," Barry


page 2



Riedesel is staying on --- looking for more pay-offs.


In 1999, for the very first time, Barry Riedesel ran for office. He was defending his "appointed" position of Vice-president of Local 302, a position that was obviously "given" to him in the form of a "pay-off" for his participation. By only about 30 votes, Riedesel won over Jim Steckline, who had campaigned with the Ed Hanson Team of challengers. That was the closest election in recent memory.


(note: Ed Hanson has proof that the 1999 union election was fraud and borne of a conspiracy, and he has evidence to prove it. Hanson's case is currently pending in federal court).


Pay-offs are usually very simple to track down. All one needs for proof is to examine the facts and follow the trail of the wrongdoer. How did Barry Riedesel acquire so many positions of power within the union so quickly? It was rumored that Riedesel was even angling to become the business manager after the sudden resignation of Clyde Wilson on January 1, 2001. Would the so very obvious have become too obvious?


Terrorism within our own union must be squashed like a bug. Can those who we place in positions of trust, really be trusted? Apparently not so, at least in the case of Barry Riedesel, who was false to his trust.


Edgar Hanson

Vancouver, WA 98665

(360) 699-6143

page 3




Return to

(c) All original work copyright 1998. All rights reserved..